Canada is a very sought after holiday destination. For many of us in the UK, with its beautiful national parks and vibrant cities, Canada is on the bucket list. Whilst the delights of Toronto and Banff national park are such big draw factors, the likes of Montreal and French speaking Canada cannot be over looked as destinations to be on that travel bucket list.
Here are 10 reasons why you should visit Montréal and Quebec City (other than the beautiful buildings and typical tourist sites):
- Montreal. Montreal is the perfect mix between a North America city and a European one. It has a beautiful old town that could make you feel like you’re in the heart of a French city, but also has great big boulevards and magical high-rise buildings that make you feel like you could be in the centre of NYC.
- Different Cultures. Montreal is a multicultural dreamland. Everywhere you turn there’s different cultures and languages coming out of your ears. French is heavily encouraged but there are so many languages around that it’s musical.
- Galleries. In addition to this, Montreal is certainly not short of an art gallery or two. To get those culture taste buds going, there are ample to choose from.
- Museums. Quebec City itself is not a stranger to museums. You could spend days in Quebec City just visiting museum after museum after museum. However be sure to make sure they’re open as they are very French about their opening times – outside of the tourist seasons many are shut on multiple days of the week. Also, there was once a ‘Cats and Dogs’ exhibition in La Musée de la Civilisation, just saying.
- The food. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I tasted the best blueberries I’ve ever had in the Marché Jean-Talon in Montreal. The markets have such a great atmosphere and so many delicious foods to try.
- Poutine. It is the most delicious, greasy, fantastic thing I have ever come across in my life. There is no way to describe it. It’s French fries, gravy and cheese curds and you must try it.
- The people. Everybody is so, so, friendly. I know this is a said a lot about Canadians but it’s very true I can assure you, at least in the Quebec region!
- The history. Quebec has a very interesting history and captivating history that has led to its French speaking identity today. For the reason alone it is well worth a visit to explore its history.
- The nature. Both cities are bursting with gardens and surrounded by parks to explore. If you like to combine city breaks and outdoor activities, this region is perfect. Inside the cities themselves there’s La Citadelle in Quebec City and Mount Royal in Montreal, which was one of the best places I went in Montreal. It’s a beautiful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city with a great view.
- Second hand book shops. This may sound strange, but Quebec City is full to the brim of second hand bookshops. You could literally spend hours poring over these beautiful little shops, and if you’re anything like me this will make you fall in love with the city even more.
To be honest, I could go on for pages and pages about how fantastic this region of Canada is, in particular these two cities Montreal and Quebec City. But, if you ever get the chance I highly recommend you check them out for yourselves.
Published in The Spark Newspaper January 2018